These are a few of my favourite shows

Sunday, March 6, 2011

There's so much access to any fashion show in the world. In minutes, we are able to see what has just happened at any ramp in the world and quite frankly, that has spoiled our appetite for the novelty and those priceless "ah" moments when you see something new for the first time. Fortunately, there are still some designers whose handiwork gives me goosebumps, whether it's their original ideas or adaptations of other people's ideas. Here are some of my favourite designer shows from New York, London and Paris Fashion Week this last few weeks. I've also added a few pics from the Design Indaba, which I missed by 24 hours. Can you guess the designers?









This is Pheobe Philo's latest offering for Celine. They say she was influenced by car interiors hence the luxury car colour blocking scheme.  It reminds me of those big American cars where three people can sit in the front row. There's something very seventies about this collection.  I like that it's not the literal boho trend but an understated, sophisticated minimalistic collection.  But then, just when you think you know where she's going, she slaps you with a dash board wood print ensemble.  I also really like the 1940s pea coat silhouette, or is it early 50s? I can't really place it but I've been seeing a lot of it. For example, at Lanvin:










Another thing I noticed while trawling many sites to find these pics, is that gloves are major this season and so are these wide brimmed zorresque hats (we are gonna have them at Mememe this Winter), as well as layering layering layering. I can't wait for winter. 


Maison Martin Margiela







This collection is by Coloumbian born designer, Heider Ackermann, who is rumoured to be replacing John Galliano at Dior, or Karl Largerfeld who, at age 911 is nearing retirement.  But I've also heard he may be the creative director of Yves Saint Laurent. Paris is calling Mr Ackermann.  Judging by this incredible collection, it looks like he is ready to fill some big shoes.




I just adore Phillip Lim. Here's the colour blocking again, this time, mixed in with leather, which is also making a huge appearance on shop racks next winter.









When trendsters say Navajo is gonna make a come back, I think this is what they are referring to.  Proenza Schouler just gets cooler and cooler by the collection.  Please, no more gypsy tops and bad boho skirts and bad tassles - this is the future of that look.  I love the native American blanket woven fabric as well as the spots of colour blocking, this collection makes automn/winter seem so warm. 


Eeek. Viktor and Rolf have clearly taken to the pleating trend. I love their clothes or their wearable art. How freaky are those red faces?




Then, just to soothe the pain caused by the Viktor and Rolf coats, here is some soothing Jason Wu. The pics were taken by Tommy Ton backstage at Wu's NYFW show in February, signaling the last of the big trends for winter - lace! Has it ever gone away?









These are the South African designers at Design Indaba. Can you guess who these two collections are from? 
Hats. check. Pleats. check. Leather. check. Colour blocking. check. Whoever says we need to wait for international designers to tell us what to wear needs to wake up.  This is the century of Designers Without Borders. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment